Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Experiences .....

Today at Playcentre a little boy hit Riley on the head with a wooden hammer. This is the first time he has been treated roughly so he didn't quite know how to react. His way of dealing with his feelings is to lie face down on the floor and not move so thats exactly what he did, he was terrified and so shocked that someone would do that to him. Of course I was over there straight away and as soon as I picked him up his little arms went around my neck and he buried his face in my shoulder. He was such a brave boy and being the wuss I am I just about cried for him! I think that new experience set us up for the rest of the day as he has had bouts of inconsolable crying which is so not like him and he is now fast asleep in bed.

2 comments:

Selena said...

That's always a hard one to deal with, in my Playcentre experience you let the other child know that it's not ok to hit their friends then lump lots of positive attention on the hurt child rather than negative attention on the one that caused the pain, seems to work most of the time.

Don't think the weather is helping much either though, we have quite a few out of sorts kids at centre today.

C1 said...

awwwww poor boy!

My bubba is a roughie, he's always the one bopping others no matter how hard we try to teach him that it's just not acceptable.
It's a hard one when you have a child that's doing the damage as you always feel so guilty about it afterwards....
We go through periods where he will be super good and not hurt people, then out of the blue he will throw something, or hit out of frustration. I'm hoping as he understands more, and keeps getting removed from situations he will learn NOT to!
:(