It has been perfect soup weather here at the moment and when pumpkins are on special this is a cheap and easy way to use them. You don't need to put it through a sieve but in my opinion if I'm going to have a smooth soup then it needs to be completely smooth. Its definitely worth the extra effort.
I'm not really a pumpkin person but I LOVE this recipe and it makes heaps so I can freeze some for an easy meal another day.
1 large pumpkin, chopped
2 large orange kumara, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic
2tbsp olive oil
approximately 4 cups chicken stock
1 can lite coconut milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
- Peel and chop all the veges.
- In a large pot sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add the pumpkin and kumara and stir well.
- Pour in chicken stock to almost cover the veges (you can always take some out later once the veges have cooked down if you think the soup will be too thin).
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the veges are soft.
- Blend in the blender and push through a sieve to make sure there are no bits.
- Put back in the pot and add the nutmeg, coconut milk and season to taste.
- Reheat and serve.
Find more recipes here.