Thursday, July 15, 2010

Change is in the Air

I made a start on packing today. I only packed a couple of boxes as thats all I could find in the garage that were a suitable size for what I wanted them for, it felt good to get started though.

I took Riley out with me to fetch the boxes and as soon as we were back inside we had the following conversation:
Riley: "Riley wants to stay here."
Me: "Wheres here?"
Riley: "Riley's house. My house."
Then after I'd packed a box and was carrying it out of the lounge Riley yelled after me, "Don't go without Riley!"

I've fallen for it again, sigh. We've talked about the new house many times now but each time it seemed like Riley wasn't listening or didn't fully understand what I was trying to tell him. You'd think I would've learnt by now that he is a smart kid and not to underestimate him.

His world's going to be turned upside down in the next couple of weeks and thats when the fun will truly begin. Sure hes attached to this place as its the only home that hes known but I'm hoping that once we are all settled into the new place he'll like it just as much. Yes it will be different but sometimes different can be good.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

:( it's so hard when they don't fully understand. I found a book in Whitcoulls called We're Moving House by Heather Maisner which is really good. We've moved a few times and it takes a while for them to realise what's gone on. I found when I moved to Katikati when Elijah was just over 2 years he regressed - he went back into nappies and back to having a bottle. It took a few months to get him back to using the toilet and drinking out of a cup - I guess it was just something that made him feel safe at that time

Fay said...

That book sounds good I'll have to see if I can find it. Yea I'm really hoping that Riley's toilet training doesn't go backwards and that he keeps sleeping well in his big bed.

Kelly said...

Try your library because they may just have a copy. Fingers crossed he copes well with the move - just make his room look similar to what it is now.