Friday, July 9, 2010

No Day Sleep

Riley is still not sleeping all that often during the day now. I've still been putting him down for his nap as normal with little or no success so today I decided to try something different. I kept him up. I know you probably think I'm mad and don't worry for a while there I thought I was too! Instead of putting him to bed I put on his fave DVD (Dora the Explorer) and he 'rested'. Even though he looked totally shattered for the rest of the afternoon we only had minimal tears and tantrums. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to give up his day sleeps but they weren't working anymore so the hunt is on to find something that will. There goes my free time, sigh ....

4 comments:

Renee said...

Oh no....that's no good...I really treasure the hour that I get a day from Charlotte's naps (yes, just the hour. If I'm super lucky I get an hour twenty). I hope that the rest time thing starts to work and that you can still have some "me" time while he is resting.

PS - he looks absolutely shattered in this photo!!

Fay said...

He so needs a day sleep but I can pretty much guarantee that if I put him to bed he won't sleep but when I keep him up hes a mess! Today he was hitting and generally being rough because he was so tired. I'm reverting back to nap time I think, obviously 'resting' in bed is different to 'resting' while watching tv.

Kelly said...

Have you tried lying down with him? I know it's probably a terrible habit but I used to do it with Elijah when he was trying to drop his day sleep. I used to sneak out a few minutes after he fell asleep. Then he started afternoon kindy so no more day sleeps :( although he did sleep in the car yesterday!

Fay said...

Lying down with him so doesn't work. He just jumps all over me or tries to stick his fingers up my nose and still doesn't sleep, lol.