Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chemical/Budget Conscious Cleaning

As a mum I am always looking for natural household cleaners and since we are on a budget, I like to use ingredients that I have around the house, making it cheaper and healthier for everyone.

Here are a couple of things that I use all the time:
- Baking soda mixed into a paste with dish washing detergent is fabulous for cleaning up shower glass and removing soap scum. It also shines up the kitchen sink nicely.
- Straight vinegar is great for dried up carpet stains, just spray on and scrub with an old toothbrush, that usually does the trick.

I found this site here which has lots of ideas and tips.

I've already tried out their no-streak glass cleaner and it works just as well, if not better than commercial glass/window cleaner plus it doesn't have that horrid alcohol smell and you're not spraying any nasty chemicals around the house. Just make sure you clean both sides of the window otherwise theres no point and they still look grubby. I also used it on the bathroom mirror.

Heres the recipe:
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- 1 quart warm water

- Mix the ingredients and put in a spray bottle.
- Spray on windows.
- Wipe dry with crumpled newspaper, buff to a shine.

This recipe does make quite a lot so I would probably halve it next time. Also a little goes a long way.

No comments: