Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Kindy Trap

Anyone else finding it difficult to entertain their child/ren since they started Kindy??

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 3 free mornings a week while Riley is at Kindy but I'm finding it so much harder to entertain him when hes at home. Hes decided that we should be doing Kindy activities at home on his non-Kindy days. Things like, play dough, painting, getting mucky in the sandpit .... I was hoping that he could do all those fun mucky things at Kindy and I wouldn't have to worry about the clean up (I'm a bit of a clean freak). Hes also been acting up lately because hes getting bored and I just can't compete with the fun he has at Kindy, sigh.

The other thing is ..... WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH HIM OVER THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS?!!

As I found out last week when he was off all week with a cold, I quite enjoy having some me time (after 3 years without any!) and so I feel rested and better able to deal with Riley and his moods without going insane. The week started out good, just hanging out together and having fun but by the end of the week I was just about ripping out all my hair and needing a well deserved break. I have no idea how I managed to survive before Kindy.

4 comments:

Time Flies said...

awww sorry got no advise as we do all those things at home, since my kiddies arent in care, hope you work something out.

Bronwyn said...

Can you do some of the less-messy of the messy-play activities with him during the holidays? Like, painting the fence with water, or painting with food colouring (like this: http://bronwynmj.blogspot.com/2010/11/water-painting.html?zx=8e8075b131b98408). Good luck entertaining him for the whole holidays!! We'll have the same problem here, since PLaygroup, Playcentre and Mainly Music all don't run over the summer break, but I think we'll spend a lot of time down at the pool.

emerson-j said...

my son (3yr) was doing 2 days at creche when i had my baby at beg of year. im putting up to 3 days now because he is really hard to entertain on his days off and i cant be taking him everywhere cos the bubs (now 11mth) still naps. he whinges and demands i sit right beside him when he plays cos at creche he is always sitting next to and playing with other kids...it is doing my head in and i am seriously thinking bout upping his days to 4 a week now he gets the 20hours free subsidy (which isnt really free), but i feel guilty cos im a stay at home mum and feel bad like im trying to get rid of him or i should go and get a job....

Fay said...

Sounds like my boy Emerson-j! Don't feel guilty about upping him to 4 days a week, just do what you think is best for you guys. Don't they say a happy mum, means happy kids?? Something like that anyway, lol.