Monday, January 31, 2011

Recipe: Sesame Crackers

We're now into the second week of Kindy for this term and I'm trying to get motivated to make my own snacks. One thing that Riley loves is crackers but I always have a hard time choosing crackers that are low in fat and salt and taste good plain. 

I was looking through one of my old recipe books the other day and I came across this really simple cracker recipe and thought I'd give it a go.

- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 1/2 cup water (aprox)
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds (I toasted them over a low heat until golden and fragrant. Be careful not to burn them)

You can use a food processor if you have one.

- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix in the sesame seeds.

- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water, a few drops at a time until the mixture comes together to form a dough. The dough should be a little softer than pastry dough.

- Roll the dough out thinly on a lightly floured board. Cut into squares, rectangles or other shapes using a cookie cutter.

- Bake at 190 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until they are a pale golden colour.


When cold store them in an airtight container to help keep them nice and crisp.

These are really yummy and Riley loves them. This is a good base recipe and you could add all sorts of different herbs/seasonings for something a bit different.

3 comments:

LatteJunkie said...

oh thank you! I really want to make crackers but was nervous they'd be yuck... Will try these next week and let you know how they are received!

PaisleyJade said...

YUM! I tried making crackers once too - didn't look as great as yours though!!

tartankiwi said...

Just made some of these... YUM! I didn't have any sesame seeds so I tried with poppy seeds instead. I also brushed them with milk just before they went into the oven to give them a nice shiny appearance. Thanks for a great recipe! Will definitely be making these again!