Monday, January 10, 2011

Record Bowls

Record bowls were something that I was really keen on making but I never got round to getting any old records before now. They're cheap to make and would make a unique gift.

Yesterday we headed down to the Super Shed and what do you know they had heaps of records so I grabbed a couple which they gave to me for free at the checkout when Phil bought a bag of plant pots for $1.

It was our fist time going to the Super Shed and they have all sorts of things ranging from books, computer parts, bicycles, vacuum cleaners, toys, crockery, paintings, plant pots, furniture, bricks, pretty much anything that is re-usable. Don't they say that one man's trash is another man's treasure? Thats what springs to mind when I think of the Super Shed. I was a big fan of Trash Palace back in Porirua which is the same idea - recover, reuse, recycle - and I've had a few good finds there.

One of the records I picked up was Westside Story, which my class performed for our 3rd form musicals. It brought back all sorts of memories just looking at it and remembering all the songs.



It took all of 10 minutes to transform these records into funky bowls following this tutorial here. No idea what I'm going to put in them yet but I think they look really cool. They were a bit difficult to shape but the great thing is if you don't get it right the first time you can just put them back in the oven to soften up and then try again.

2 comments:

makeitgiveit said...

He he. I have a huge stack of records from the Super Shed with exactly the same idea in mind only they've been in a pile for over a year! Thanks for the motivation!

Time Flies said...

awww those are neat, you could put small herbs or something in then as they have a draining hole