Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 3 ....

Its all very surreal. I've been watching events unfolding on the news but it doesn't feel like its happening to me, to the city in which we live. It doesn't help that our house has once again come through undamaged and all seems as it should be in our part of the city. We have a lot to be thankful for .....

Phil was back at work the day after the quake. He works for Orion in the mapping department and has been helping in the effort to get power restored to the city. I'm not happy with him going into the city so soon but I understand that the work hes doing is important and will help so many people.


I'm feeling better today, trying very hard to keep things normal for Riley. The last couple of days I have been feeling weak and sick, completely drained. Shock and lack of quality sleep probably, I felt the same after the September quake.

This quake was far more terrifying, I was sure that this time the house was going to come down around our ears ..... thankfully it didn't. Someone must really be looking out for us, we didn't even lose power or water. The phone line was down for a while so I was feeling pretty helpless, unable to contact anyone and nowhere to go. We were able to find out what had happened by watching TV but seeing the images and knowing that Phil was out there somewhere and not being able to get in contact with him was the most horrible feeling.

Poor little Riley was absolutely exhausted after the quake and wouldn't let me put him down for a couple of hours afterwards, not even so I could go to the toilet. He had a little sleep on my lap which would have been the best thing for him so he didn't have to see how upset/frightened I was. He has bounced back really well. Having experienced the September quake he knows whats going on and as long as we/he keeps talking about it he'll be fine.

Here are some photos that Phil took today .....

TVNZ Building
The old Winnie Bagoes Pizzeria.

Bealey Pharmacy, corner of Bealey and Colombo Street.
Queuing up to get petrol, you can just make out the petrol station in the distance.
I am so thankful that we have come through this unscathed and my heart goes out to all those who have been less fortunate than us. It breaks my heart to see so much pain and suffering ....

4 comments:

Time Flies said...

OMG, those photos are unreal, im really glad you guys got though safe again.

emerson-j said...

so glad u are ok, my family who lived in chch moved about 3yrs ago and i dont know anyone down there but i cant stop watching the tv and i just feel sick, so i cant even begin to imagine what ur going thru...my thoughts are with u xxoo

tartankiwi said...

Big hugs to you all.

Claire Bear said...

Lots of love to all of you Fay!