Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Creative Space: Buttercup Bag

I've had this pattern and tutorial bookmarked for ages but it wasn't until I saw how well Juliet's bag over at Tartankiwi turned out that really gave me the push to try it and of course I bombarded her with my 101 questions before getting started.

It took me a long time to finish. Not because it was hard but because I wanted it to be perfect and I was scared of mucking it up. So its been sitting, half finished in my sewing room for the last couple of months until I finally plucked up the courage to finish putting it together and as it turns out I had nothing to worry about.


I did make a few little changes/additions:
- I used light weight interfacing on all the outside pieces of the bag.
- I used heavy weight interfacing in the handle. (If you're like me and hopeless at sewing handles, a good tip is to use applique adhesive which will stop the layers from moving as you sew).
- I opted for a cell phone pocket rather than the square pocket, using this tutorial.


I had also planned on sandwiching the handle between the layers rather than sewing it on afterwards but once I'd sewn my outside pieces together I noticed that my side seams didn't quite match up and sewing the handles on the outside covers that up nicely, phew.


Its definitely not a very practical bag because of its size (who needs practical anyway?) but I just love how it turned out! Now all I need to do is plan a night out so that I can use it.

Joining in with Our Creative Spaces.

16 comments:

tartankiwi said...

Well done, it looks great! Love the red lining.

Rie said...

Sweet! It looks great & you should be very proud of it!!

*Staci* said...

Very pretty and perfect fabric choice! I feel the same way about the size of this bag. I carry too much stuff around for it to be practical for me. They are still fun to make though. :)

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

Very nice, I live the fabric you used :)

Suz said...

Well done. Love the little snaps inside:)

Katie said...

Looks lovely :-)

teddybearswednesday said...

it's gorgeous ! :)

Sarah said...

Love it, after seeing yours and Tartan Kiwi's I think I'm going to have to give this pattern a go myself!

Leonie said...

That is gorgeous! I especially love that fabric :)

Limar said...

Oo, that's a really nice bag! Good job :)

Fiona said...

Such a pretty bag. I have that pattern too and have never made it up - no idea why! Maybe it's time to raid my stash and have a go! Hope you get an occasion to use yours soon!

Pam said...

Cute little bag. Love the shape.

Christie said...

Wow you did a great job, it looks gorgeous, who needs practical when it's that cute?!

Pam said...

Hi Fay, I've featured your Buttercup bag today...

Pam said...

Hi Fay, I've featured your Buttercup Bag again today...
Ten Fabulous Totes

shirrel said...

wow,nice! what a cute bag