Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Creative Space: Lunch Money Cuff

Riley will be starting school in just 6 months time so lately I've been thinking a lot about things that I can make for him to use at school. I've had this awesome tutorial for a lunch money cuff bookmarked for ages so I thought it was about time that I gave it a go ....

a) to figure out sizing and b) to see if he would wear it. Riley's a bit funny when it comes to wearing things on his wrists (as we found out at the pool the other weekend where he had to wear a wrist band so he could use the hydroslides).


It turned out really cute and fits him perfectly. I used super soft flannel so it feels nice against his skin. Riley loves it and is happy enough to wear it. It probably helps that I used some car fabric that he's had his eye on for ages.


I followed this tutorial for shortening the zipper. It was very easy to follow but I accidently shortened my zip a bit too much.

Joining in with Our Creative Spaces.

17 comments:

Mel @ Wildflower said...

Oh that is a seriously cool idea and yours looks great :D

Max said...

it is a good idea! I have an old, tiny leather purse attached to a leather wrist band that has 'lunch money' embossed on the front i op-shopped ages ago tucked away for when my little girl is old enough to need lunch money, though its so small i think it would only fit a dollar in it! it looks like its from the 50's or 60's.
i had no idea you could shorten a zip, that will come in very handy!

Miriam said...

That is really cute. I bet he'll feel SO proud when it has money in it.

Roslyn@Sew Delicious said...

Such a great idea and gorgeous fabric too!

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

yep - thats a winner and i love love love that fabric....my son would totally wear that too! well done x

Kt said...

What a fab idea. Lovely material!

Pam said...

Cool idea!!! Bet he'll love to wear it!!!

Seaweed and Raine said...

I've had one of those on my to-do lists too! :) J will either start Prep mid year, or Kindy next year, and he's going to need one! :) I'd love to hear how your adventure with it goes. :)
Job well done Mummy! (Bet it's a roaring success)

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

That is so, so cute, and useful too.

Jill said...

What an excellent idea for lunch money!! I'm going to pin this to try out sometime! Thanks for the inspiration Fay!

Christie said...

This is gorgeous Fay, and a really, really good idea!

Ady said...

Great idea, Fay! I love the fabric you used. I think I'll just head over to the tute and bookmark it. Thanks for sharing.

Jo said...

That's really cool - love it!

Leonie said...

cute and great idea!!!

Bron said...

Looks very cute and a very big bonus that your big boy loves it and wants to wear it. xx

Hootnz said...

Love the car fabric... and nice choice using flannel.... I made some of these a couple of years ago for my boys, and they have worn them so much, they have seen better days now :)

beberouge said...

OMG this is seriously a wonderful idea. I love it!!!