Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Creative Space: Texture/Quiet Book

I can finally share with you all what I have been working on for the last wee while .... a texture/quiet book for a special little boy's 1st birthday.

Unfortunately my photos aren't the best as I left them until the last minute ....


I was inspired by this idea here but I decided to take it a step further and combine it with a quiet book.


When deciding what pages to make I gathered a lot of awesome inspiration from around the internet and from Pinterest in particular.


I had originally intended putting the pages on a big ring but I couldn't find one so in the end I used a basic chain stitch (that's the extent of my crocheting skills) to make a 'tie' to hold it all together.


I included a mix of touchy-feely pages as well as some more interactive pages for him to grow into.


It was my first time using eyelets and I would not recommend them if you can avoid them. The fronts look pretty but the backs are a completely different story. Let's just say that they are really hard to put in and have them look like they're supposed too.


I did 6 pages in total, 7 if you include the front page. The finished pages ended up being about 5x5inches, small enough for little hands to manage.


This was such a fun project and the ideas for different pages are endless! The hardest bit was stopping myself from getting carried away and keeping in mind that I was making it for a 1 year old.

Find more Creative Spaces here.

17 comments:

Miriam said...

Great project. very inspiring!

Ady said...

Wow Fay. Beautiful quiet book with so many textures and interesting things for his little hands to explore. I love the fishies in the bowl!

Sophie Slim said...

This is such a brilliant idea! Despite the eyelets your whole project looks very well finished and professional! :)

I especially love the little fishies in their bowl :)

x

Seaweed and Raine said...

They look amazing Fay! I really love the fish bowl and the apple tree. If you get super keen you could make little apples down the track that are the "button holes" for the buttons - there-by teaching another skill! :) (not super likely, I know! lol)

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

What a great idea to put eyelets in each page so that they can be tied together and moved around!

Claire said...

One little boy is going to have alot of fun with this pressie Fay.

Love the tactile features in your book and I can imagine how hard it would've been to stop at just a few pages.

It looks great and makes a great present for a small person...

Claire :}

Roslyn@Sew Delicious said...

Amazing Fay. I love the zips - so simple but I know from my own girls that zipping and unzipping never gets tired! I love the fish bowl page as well. Great job!

Jill said...

The book looks great Fay and I"m sure it will be well appreciated and played with! I've just bought some eyelets to try out sometime! Now I'm nervous!!

Leonie said...

That is sooo cool! Well done, it looks great! I've been meaning to do a quiet book for ages... this is very inspiring!

Rie said...

What a fab book, it's so adorable! I recently made my bubs a book but it wasn't as good as yours! I had an hour whilst he was napping so I just cut & glued a book together!! I wish I'd taken the time & created one like yours now!

Pam said...

An awesome interactive book, Fay!!! Love it!!! Someone is going to have a lot of fun with this..

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

Your book is lovely! I'm pinning it as a project for my little one.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Oh WOW! It is fabulous. You can tell you had fun making it.
I love the little fish and the apple tree.

Katie said...

Wow - it's awesome - a great collection of pages :-) You can get bookrings in the Warehouse Stationery in a few different sizes if you need any for future projects.

Lea said...

what fun! You can always add pages to it though as your little one grows. What a special little book.

Bron said...

What a fab idea.....they are such a clever and perfect gift for little ones.

Ruth said...

Oh what a brilliant idea! This would be a fantastic present to put together for nieces and nephews! :-)