Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tutorial: Pocket Tissue Case

When I first started sewing I went through a phase of making lots of tissue cases. I tried a bunch of different tutorials but I never found one that would fit a whole pack of Kleenex pocket tissues, they were always too small.


So with Christmas coming up I thought it would be a good time to make my own pattern. These would make great little gifts and are really quick to make.

Supplies:
- 8.5" x 6.5" piece of fabric for the outside
- 7.5" x 6.5" piece of fabric for the lining
- coordinating thread


Take your outer and lining pieces and with right sides together, match up the raw edges along one of the short sides. Sew together with a 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for the other side.


Turn right side out and press seams open. 

Press entire piece flat. Since the lining fabric is shorter, the outer fabric will fold in at the edges. Try and keep it even on both sides. Top stitch close to the edge. I use the lining as a guide and sew right next to it.


Fold piece in half and mark the center of each raw edge. Fold in one side and overlap your center mark by 1/2 an inch at both ends. Fold in the other side and match up the line where the outer and lining meet. Pin in place and sew both ends closed with a 1/2" seam allowance. You can use a zigzag stitch or leave the edges raw. I trimmed mine with pinking shears.


Now we're going to box the corners. Start  by opening out your corner. Center your stitch line on top of the folded edge and fold the seam to one side, making a triangle. Pin in place. Measure 1/2 an inch in from the corner and rule a line at right angles to the stitch line. Repeat for all corners and sew along the marked lines (don't forget to secure your stitches at both ends).


It should look like this:


Cut off corners 1/4 of an inch from stitch line. Turn right side out and gently poke out corners. 

Fill with tissues. It may take a bit of wiggling to get your tissues in but it's the perfect fit for the Kleenex pocket tissues, 21 x 21cm (remove the plastic first).


If you make a Pocket Tissue Case using this tutorial, I'd love for you to share some photos in the Monkey Makes Three Flickr group or leave me a link in the comments.

9 comments:

Jill said...

These are great Fay! I'd much rather have one of these in my handbag rather than the plastic casing!

Cat said...

Brilliant I will try your tutorial and let you know as I have fumbled with the only other one I have found

Pam said...

The tutorial I have used was too small. I bought a few several years ago and they were way too big. I'm pinning your tutorial for future reference, Fay.

Kylie said...

This looks great

Miriam said...

Great tutorial Fay. These look super cute

Fiona said...

What a cute idea for a quick, small gift! I'll be pinning this one so I can find it again!

Anesha said...

Great tutorial, must give it a try.

Αρμονία said...

I will try your tutorial.Great idea!

Zielony Myszak said...

good idea :)