Sunday, January 6, 2013

First Project for 2013

So I've kicked off my sewing for 2013 with a project for me. I don't often make things for myself (especially not clothes since they usually require a great deal of fabric), so when I came across some knit fabric on the clearance table at Spotlight I just had to grab some.

I really wanted to make a circle skirt but when I cut out my pattern, the center of the circle that's supposed to fit around my waist was way too big, so I adapted it a little by cutting  a section off the side. This just means that instead of it being a continuous circle it has a seam up one side.


The only thing I'm not happy about is that the hem tends to wrinkle no matter how much I iron it. I don't think it's too obvious when the skirt is on but now I wish I'd left the edges raw and just overlocked them (I'll definitely be keeping that in mind for next time).

It was my first time sewing a yoga style waistband and I just love it. The skirt is super comfy and will be perfect for mucking about the house in this crazy heat we've been having lately.

Joining in here.

4 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Way to go, sewing for yourself, Fay!!! Your skirt looks great!!!

Leonie said...

I like it alot! I am dead keen for a skirt just like it! Thanks for linking up! :)

Talking Trash & Wasting Time said...

awesome skirt, you will be able to wear that for lots of different occasions, dress it up and go casual :)

With the hem I find that when I do these circle skirts that if the fabric has a slight stretch in it just one way I get the puckering. Maybe its me but only does it with a stretch in the fabric. I should try overlocking like you suggested, I just hate changing the thread on the machine haha

Ninotchka McKay said...

Great job! With the hem - you could try a walking foot, if you have one on your machine? Otherwise I would blind hem it by hand - then it would definitely be flat!