Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Book Review: Written in Red by Anne Bishop

As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.

I am a huge Anne Bishop fan, so I was super excited to finally read her latest novel, Written in Red.

I was not disappointed, for me it was one of those books that I found extremely difficult to put down. The story is unique, the characters are engaging and while it wasn't overally action packed until near the end, there was enough going on to keep me intrigued.

The story follows Meg, the run away blood prophet, as she adjusts to life inside the courtyard and dealing with the terra indigene (shifters, vampires, elementals) that live there.

Because of her forced captivity she doesn't have any experience of the outside world, everything that she knows comes from training images and videos. She starts off as a pretty weak character but continues to grow throughout the story as she makes friends, gains independence and grows in confidence. Meg is like a breath of fresh air in the courtyard and is the catalyst for change in the terra indigene who gather around her and count her as one of their own.

There are quite a few different characters, human and Other, all beautifully written and with their own parts to play.

I must admit that the book wasn't as dark as I thought it was going to be considering the nature of the world and most of the characters. There were also parts that I found quite humorous (in particular some of Meg's dealings with the terra indigene) which served to make some of the non-human characters more likeable.

I can't wait for the second installment, Murder of Crows, which is to be released in March next year.

Rating: 5/5
Note: I was not paid to write this review. 
I just love books/reading and want to share my passion with you. 

No comments: