Monday, February 24, 2014

The Little Moose Who Couldn't Go To Sleep
(A Maynard Moose Tale) by Willy Claflin, illustrated by James Stimson

Maynard Moose is a story teller and can often be found telling tales by the bedside of his cousin Little Moose.

This particular story is about a little Moose who has a hard time getting to sleep at night and as a result finds herself struggling at school. She tries a number of different things before finding a solution.

The book comes with the following warning:
THIS BOOK CONTAINS MOOSE GRAMMAR, SPELLING AND USAGE. ALL OF WHICH HAS BEEN KNOWN TO SCRUMBLE UP THE HUMAN BRAIN.

Let's just say that my brain was sufficiently scrumbled by the time I reached the end of the book but my progress was made easier by the inclusion of a Moose/English glossary. 

I was a little put off by the way it's written but I do understand that this is the moose style of speaking intended by the author and I thought that the unique moose vocabulary was a fun addition. 

The story itself feels a bit like a fairy tale and both adult readers and children will be able to relate to certain aspects of it. The illustrations are super cute and are a perfect match for the sweet nature of the story.

Rating: 4/5
August House
March 7, 2014

Source: Netgalley

3 comments:

April the Steadfast Reader said...

I will definitely look into this one - I'm always looking for picture books that don't drive me crazy.

Thank for linking up with Spread the Love!

Leonie said...

This one sounds like a real goodie!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

Moose talk sounds like a winner to me!!!!